My Christmas Wish List

It's now the time of year when people usually start to ask the famous question, "What do you want for Christmas."  Usually, for me, it's books and films.  What more can anyone ask than a story that takes you away to a magical time and place?  Last week, I discovered that three animated films I had been waiting to be released have already been longlisted for Oscars.  One is already on DVD.  They're from three different countries and are all totally magical, and my wish  is now to see them all before next Christmas.

1.  Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart.
I have been waiting for this one ever since I read the book it's based on - The Boy With the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu (original title: La Mécanique du Coeur).  The English translation of the book came out in 2009, so it's been some wait...



http://youtu.be/v7VHN4hGlk4?list=LL015t4QOwi2PPh995q4ZIvg

2.  Song of the Sea
This beautiful Irish film is made by the same people as The Secret of Kells, which I love.  It's about selkies.  What more can I say?  Think I might have to wait until next year before I can see it, though.



3.  The Tale of Princess Kaguya
This is my favourite Japanese fairy tale.  AND it's Studio Ghibli.  And I can't believe it hasn't been shown in England.  (Or Bradford, anyway.  And they call us the City of Film...)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Hairy Women

A Day with the BBC

Beauty and the Beast: King of the Wood