12 Books I Would Give to my 12-year-old Self


I'm writing this little blog in response to a blog by Book Riot. http://bookriot.com/?p=109205

You know the sort of thing: if you could go back in time and hand some books to your 12-year-old self...?  So, without further ado, here's my list (in no particular order):

1.  Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
I was about 18 when I first read it, and knew I would have loved it earlier.
2. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
My young self actually thought this was a rival to Narnia, and had no idea Lewis and Tolkien were friends.
3. The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder
The book that turned me back to contemporary fiction, after about a decade hiding in the 19th century in case Angela Carter jumped out at me again.
4. Overcoming Low Self-Esteem by Melanie Fennel
Enough said.
5. The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones
How did I miss her at time of writing??
6. The Lais of Marie de France
So I wouldn't have to wait until uni to know I didn't need to give up fairy tales.
7. Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, and all its sequels.
Because - asexuality.
8. Beauty by Robin McKinley
Because I shouldn't have had to wait until 20 before discovering it.
9. Troubadour by Mary Hoffman
Because why wait until the 21st century?
10. Wonder Struck by Brian Selznik
Ditto.
11. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell 
Ditto. Plus it's the best book ever.
12. Silver Hands by Elizabeth Hopkinson
This one would probably break the space-time continuum, but just to prove to myself that I could do it.

What would your twelve be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Hairy Women

Beauty and the Beast: King of the Wood

A Day with the BBC