It's Festival time!

                      Nicola Griffith and her novel Hild at Ilkley Literature Festival 



Autumn is drawing on fast (in my part of the world, at least).  The nights are closing in, and it's time to curl up in front of the fire with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book.  So it's not surprising that, in many places just now, literature festivals are taking place.

My nearest big festival is Ilkley Literature Festival, which was born in the same year as me - 1973.  Long-term fans will know I have a long-standing relationship with the festival.  It was here, after a one-to-one, that I first made the decision to pursue professional fiction writing as an adult.  I have performed in the Open Mic twice.  And I have twice appeared in the festival Fringe, with themed short story readings - Bradford: City of Fantasy and Tales of Royalty and Imagination.  

This year, I have joined the review team.  (You get free tickets!)  My first review has just gone live, a report on Nicola Griffith's epic historical fiction, Hild, about the girl who would become St Hilda of Whitby.  (Readers of Silver Hands will know how I love Whitby!)  There are three more to come.  Barrie Rutter of Northern Broadsides (see here for my review of their She Stoops to Conquer) reading Simon Armitage's The Death of King Arthur, a reworking of the 14th century Alliterative Morte Arthur.  (So many layers!)  Then Razwan Ul-Haq's fascinating-sounding Sultan vs. Dracula (just in time for the film!) And finally, Professor Tom McLeish on "Faith and Wisdom in Science," of which I'm sure Dr Lemuel would fully approve!

So do go over to The Pickled Egg (great blog title!) to take a look at my reviews, and those of other people.  And, if you can, get down to your local literature festival.  You will have a great time!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Hairy Women

Beauty and the Beast: King of the Wood

A Day with the BBC